translate me!

 

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Blueberry Muffins (not really Holiday Baking but that will return shortly)


You may be thinking that I have slowed down a bit in my holiday cookie posts, and you would be right. I haven't posted a cookie for a few days. Never fear...there will be a few more cookies coming in the next week and a half! My future In-Laws are here for a visit and G and I are showing them around the area. I do have a little time to post the lovely blueberry muffins that I made for breakfast this morning. This is a very simple recipe that showcases the blueberries themselves. I suppose one could add lemon zest or orange zest or some other flavoring, but I wanted straight up blueberry flavor! The recipe comes from Brother Juniper's Bread Book: Slow Rise as Method and Metaphor. The only thing I changed was to use half Splenda and half sugar and I made a half-batch. Yum.


Blueberry Muffins: (makes 24 muffins, which is why I did a half-batch)

8 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
3 cups white sugar (or half sugar/half artificial sweetener...I think I might try making these all splenda next time)
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
4 cups buttermilk
6 1/2 cups blueberries
_____________________________
-Preheat the oven to 350f. Grease muffin tins, or use paper/foil muffin cups in the tins.
-Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
-Mix together all the wet ingredients and add to the dry ingredients. Stir until the mixture just starts to come together and add the blueberries. Mix until the blueberries are incorporated and the mixture has just come together.
-Portion out the batter into each cup filling until they are just above the rim.
-Bake at 350f about 35 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and spring bake when gently poked. Remove from oven and let cool for half hour in the pan, then remove them and let them finish cooling on a rack.

Serve alone or with butter or with whatever spread you like. These are a lovely moist muffin.

Happy Baking!


Technorati Tags:, , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

6 comments:

Scherneel said...

They are....gorgeous!! Thanks for the recipe!

Jen the Bread Freak said...

Thank you, Scherneel! And you are welcome :D

Brilynn said...

Any baking can be holiday baking! These look super.

Jen the Bread Freak said...

Thank you, Brilynn. I guess I can call it "In-Law Holiday" baking :)

Anonymous said...

I think these are the best looking blueberry muffins I've ever seen!

Jen the Bread Freak said...

Thanks so much, Nicole :) I'm going to blame the blueberries for their looks. I picked them up at the farmer's market in august, they were grown in the Santa Cruz Mountains and were awesome. I got a few extra and froze them for this time of year.