translate me!

 

Friday, May 18, 2007

Macarons, Take Two (Oops, I did it again!)



Yes, yes...this is pretty much gratuitous back-patting. But really, I didn't think I would be able to do these twice (well, twice successfully, let's just not mention the first four failed attempts, shall we?) Anyway, I just wanted to put up some photos of the macarons, since I love taking photos so much. I did change the recipe from my first post in that I switched ground pistachios for the ground almonds (our apartment smelled like roasting pistachios, oh so nice) and filled them with:

1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
1 stick butter (room temperature)
2-3 cups powdered sugar (use as much as you need to get a nice piping consistency)
1 tsp kosher salt
____________________________
-Cream the butter until smooth, add the powdered sugar and begin mixing while adding the raspberry jam and the salt. Mix until smooth and pipeable.
-Pipe between two macarons and enjoy!

I do think I would have liked these even better with a more straightforward raspberry filling. I tried straight jam, but it was too thin. Definitely something I would like to explore further.

I might make more macarons in a week or so. I didn't realize how easy it was to get hooked on them. And they are just so pretty I have to post lots of photos!
Happy Baking!



Technorati Tags:, , , , , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

7 comments:

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Just beautiful! The back patting is well deserved. I love how dainty they look with the pink filling peeping out.

Jen the Bread Freak said...

Thank you, Lynne!

Anonymous said...

Jen, your pistachio macarons look stunning!

I notice that your macaron feet now look different from the last time. It has that vertical look which I really like. Mine always look squashed and bulging out.

Is there something you have done differently this time other than using a different nut?

Thanks Jen.

Jen the Bread Freak said...

Caprice: Thank you for the compliment! The only thing that I can think of that I did differently was heating the sugar syrup a little bit higher than I did for the espresso macarons. I think I took it to 238f instead of to 230f. Otherwise I'm not sure if there was any other difference. I'll have to make another batch and see if that gives me the same result. I was much happier with these "feet" than the last batch.

Anonymous said...

Jen, thanks for being so generous with your tips. I can't wait to see your next batch!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow... Jen your macaron was really stunning! I love those colours and combination fillings..... :)

Jen the Bread Freak said...

You're welcome, Caprice, I hope you had much luck with any macaroon attempts! :D

Ellena Mummy: Thank you so much! I do love the pale green and light pink colors as well...makes me think of the preppy colors in the 80's ;).